Friday, January 24, 2020

2A - Bug List

Here are some things that bug me in our day to day life:
1. Needing to have multiple subscriptions to streaming services in order to watch different shows that one is interested in.
Why? Many companies are making certain movies and TV shows exclusive to only their network, which forces people to
subscribe to all these different services.
2. Having barely any right turning lanes in Gainesville, which often holds up the right most lane when the traffic light does
turn green, causing much of the congestion.
Why? I believe it is because it just saves road space or there is simply just not enough space to construct a right turn lane.
3. Inability to dispense the last ounce of soap/lotion from the dispenser.
Why? The tube from which the pump of the dispenser connects is usually straight and does not reach the bottom of the bottle.
If the tube curved towards the bottom, more product would dispense.
4. My car does not allow me to lock it from the power lock button located on the inside of the door and then leave the car.
Why? This is probably a safety feature for German cars to prevent drivers from accidentally locking their keys in their car.
5. Instagram feed is not organized chronologically.
Why? This came with the update of Instagram’s algorithm which prioritized posts by pushing the posts that seemed most
relevant to the user to the top.

6. Google Home Mini cannot play music from any other music streaming service other than Spotify (and possibly YouTube

Premium, but who even has that?).
Why? This is similar to the exclusive paywalls issue with the streaming services. Google decided to partner with Spotify to give
customers a little more incentive in spending money on both of these products. They are not compatible with any other service
they are not partnered with.
7. Checkout lanes at grocery stores becoming ridiculously long because only three out of the 20 or so lanes are open.
Why? These stores are either not scheduling enough people to work on register or are not hiring enough people, probably
because they underestimate how much time self-checkout can take.
8. Shopping carts at grocery stores that are hard to push/make obnoxious noises.
Why? Stores are not replacing carts or wheels that are tattered and broken. Also, because stores are not investing in better
material to construct these carts in the first place.
9. Not being able to scrub the insides of a water bottle, preventing you from thoroughly cleaning the bottle.
Why? The bottle opening is simply too narrow, which creates a nicer, sleeker look. There are bottle scrub brushes that one can
use to clean the insides of the bottle, however this is just another buy.
10. Not being able to open the swing lid on the trash can and put more trash in the bag without lifting the entire lid.
Why? This just happens when the trash bin is filled and the trash within the bin is blocking the way for the swing lid to move.
11. Not being able to use the horizontal orientation of the iPhone calculator straight from the lock screen, and essentially not
being able to use the additional functions other than the basic four functions.
Why? I guess the features accessible from the lock screen of the iPhone are designed to be only some quick necessities.
12. When all the contents of a sub sandwich slide out of the other end when you take a bite.
Why? Both ends of the sub are similarly open, so when you take a bite from one end, the contents will slip out the other end
because it is open. It may also be because the person is not biting into the sub with enough force to grab the contents within and
instead it just gets pushed out the other end.
13. Having to maneuver your car in a weird and complicated manner so that the pump is on the same side as your gas tank door.
Why? Gas tanks doors are usually only located on either the left or right side of the car, which side depends on the make and model.
14. When your belt or shoes are either too loose or too tight and you must attempt to create another hole yourself using a knife
or another sharp object.
Why? All bodies are made differently, and the straps just cannot have a bunch of holes throughout its length just so it can fit
each individual person, that would ruin its aesthetic appeal.
15. Parking spots at McCarty lot require you to pull in and out several times to get it right, and even still it is barely impossible
to open the door.
Why? When the parking lot was constructed, the space needed for a car to adequately turn into a spot was not considered, so the
rows across from each other are too close. Also, the physical spots are each missing about a foot of breathing space.
16. When a car backs out of a spot that you just passed and the car behind you takes it.
Why? Some people take their time to enter their cars or back out of the spot, so you never know when a spot is going to become
open until they back out.
17. Not being able to simultaneously charge and listen to music on the iPhone.
Why? There is only one port on the newer iPhones, which is used as the charging port and headphone jack port. Apple began to
construct iPhones this way in order create more space for other things at the bottom of the phone.
18. When your headphones tangle up in your bag, even after you put them away neatly.
Why? As you move around with your bag, the contents within your bag also move around and lose their initial organization.
Since they are not bound, the headphone wires move around and get caught around each other.
19. The ridiculous number of ads before, after, and during videos on YouTube, and now, Facebook.
Why? I think the main reason is to push users to purchase the respective premium accounts.
20. When socks slip off the heel of my feet into my shoes while I am walking.
Why? This happens because the ankle opening of the sock is just too wide, preventing a tight grip of the sock to the ankle,
or just that the material allows the sock to easily slip off the ankle.
Reflection:
I came up with the first ten bugs rather quickly, and then just as it was expected, I encountered a block. It was extremely difficult
for me to just sit and think of the next ten bugs, so I took a break. I went to my class and later grabbed some dinner with my friends.
After coming back home, I was able to come up with the final ten bugs almost immediately. Being able to go through and perform
some of my day to day activities helped me to find many things that bug me that I had not initially noticed when I was just sitting at my desk. Additionally, some of the bugs had clear answers as to why they were in existence, while others were fairly difficult to come up with, probably because those bugs are not very common, or not brought up in discussion very often. Coming up with this list proves to be a very difficult task for many people because it requires them to view the world in a critical manner, which many of us do not do naturally, but this is what fuels the innovative passion for many entrepreneurs.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Shannon,
    I loved your list of bugs and found myself relating to so many of them, the sub one hit especially close to home as I too hate when half my sub ends up on my plate and it makes a huge mess. I totally agree with your reflection because I too encountered a block because it is definitely not something I am used to doing and found it especially difficult when trying to come up with a reason why. But it definitely invoked my creative thinking and is useful in entrepreneurship.

    Thanks,
    Skyler
    (I don't know if this comment has posted multiple times since I have tried multiple times so if it has I am sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Shannon:

    I enjoyed reading your bug list - particularly the "bug" about the soap/lotion dispenser. That hadn't even crossed my mind, but I found myself heavily relating to that one! Also, the ads on Facebook . . . Such a pain. I don't understand why every media outlet has to be flooded with ads these days, but I believe your reason why is definitely one of the main reasons.

    Your reflection was very similar to mine. I also had to take a break, and go live life while attempting to adopt a different outlook for this assignment. I believe it became easier once I shifted my way of thinking. As far as room for improvement, I wouldn't say your content needs any - you did a great job; however, the font on the screen was a bit small and difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shannon,
    I truly enjoyed reading your post. I agree that the first ten bugs were easy to come up for me but the next ten were noticeably more difficult. I also agree that coming up with they "why" for why certain bugs are in existence was challenging. Overall, great post and I hope to read more of yours soon!
    Andres

    ReplyDelete