Thursday, February 27, 2020

13A – Reading Reflection No. 1

The Wright Brothers, David McCullough

1) About the entrepreneurs:

  • I was most surprised at the fact that the Wright Brothers received very little attention and fame even during their most groundbreaking discoveries. This was due to the Wright Brothers intentionally avoiding the limelight whenever possible, this was not something I would expect from people that created such a life-changing invention.
  • I admired the Wright Brothers' determination the most out of everything. They were continuously mocked and laughed at, even called "bluffers," yet they did not let the doubt of the public get to them. They worked long and hard to show the world what they were capable of and with their innovative discovery, they helped change the world forever.
  • To me, there wasn't much to dislike about the brothers after reading about their lives. The only thing that I could possibly think of is the fact that the Wright Brothers worked in harsh conditions and did not really allow themselves to participate in any other "fun" activities, which I think they really deserved to do.
  • There were several occasions during which the Wright Brothers experienced mechanical failures, specifically when the brothers were attempting to follow the findings of other aviators. The brothers later learned that they could not follow those previous findings, so they decided that the best way to go about this was to conduct their own experiments and make their own findings. This would eventually lead to their successful innovation.
2) The Wright Brothers were extremely competent at working with their hands. They were mechanics in addition to their aviator jobs. They often repaired bicycles prior to their innovation. This allowed them to develop a great skill at constructing and putting things together with their bare hands.

3) Something confusing to me was that the Wright Brothers really struggled to sell flyers, which I don't really understand why this was an issue when they had so many potential buyers that seemed interested.

4) I would like to ask the Wright Brothers these questions: "How many crashes have you guys experienced?" and "When did you come up with the first thought of creating the airplane and what influenced it?"

5) The Wright Brothers worked extremely hard to make their ultimate discovery. They had several failures, yet continued to work tirelessly. So I would think they definitely valued hard work. This goes along with my beliefs and work ethic, because just like the Wright Brothers, I too have one big goal in mind and I am trying to work as hard as I can to reach it, despite the frequent mishaps.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Shannon:

    What interesting new ground for mankind to cover, right? I have always hated flying, and I'm sure always will . . . It makes me so uncomfortable and anxious, so to think these men really pioneered the world of aviation blows my mind. I would have very similar questions as yours along the lines of how many mishaps and crashes they faced. I can't imagine flying without the peace of mind I have in trusting today's equipment; however, I still have my doubts even with how far aviation has come! I also like how you linked their innovation and exploration to reaching your personal goals . . . Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon,

    I really enjoyed reading your post and it seems like you learned a lot about the entrepreneur from the biography. It is kind of strange and surprising that the Wright Brothers got so little attention during their time, especially since they have become household names and their innovation changed so much about the transportation industry. Although, based on your post, it seems like they did not want fame anyways, so to each their own. Very cool post, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shannon,
    Your post was a great read and I learned a lot of new information that I did not previously know regarding the Wright Brothers. It was odd to me that the Wright Brothers became more famous after their death than while they were living. Without them who knows where the airplane industry would be today. Overall, great post and I hope to read more of yours soon!

    ReplyDelete