Friday, February 7, 2020

8A – Solving The Problem

1) The opportunity that I am attempting to exploit is the checkout lanes at grocery stores. The checkout process has become really inefficient and time-consuming. This is due to too few cashiers being scheduled at a time. As a result, only a few checkout lanes are open and available for customers to access. Many stores have implemented self-checkout registers, however, these machines often malfunction and require employee assistance. In addition, these registers are only efficient if customers have less than 10 items and is not meant for a large grocery haul. Frustrated customers are demanding that this checkout process be changed and improved.

2) The product that I am hoping to implement to solve this issue is smartphone scanners.
Employees of grocery stores would be equipped with smartphones that have scanning and paying abilities (via car). This would be in addition to the existing self-checkout lines and cashier lanes. Similar to the Chick-fil-A drive thru, there would be 1 or 2 floating cashiers for each lane that would essentially just go through and check out card-paying customers using a smartphone provided to them by the company. And once the customer gets to the front of the lane, the items that need bagging or boxing will be brought to the cashier at the register and they will bag them. If implemented, this product will speed up the checkout process and keep customers a lot happier.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon,

    I too hate waiting through the long lines at the grocery store and definitely agree that they need a little revamp. However, wouldn't your solution create some new issues, such as the employes being worked like mad men as they have to run around and get whatever you ordered and then the line would just get backed up anyways because everyone would have to wait for their orders, just like the pick up currently in place which always gets backed up making you wish you just got your own groceries. I agree with the issue and opportunity but I think the solution might honestly just create more issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the implementation of self checkout at grocery stores was a great idea. I prefer using the self checkout as I find it to work more quickly and efficiently. I also do not always feel like having the human interaction at the grocery store. Sometimes I want to get my food that I am making tonight and leave. In a couple of years you will see the innovation we have already seen from amazon and get rid of cashiers all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shannon,

    I do not know where to begin discussing how much long lines at grocery stores irritate me. This is truly an amazing solution. It lessens the waiting time, while minimizing contact with other people at the store, for those who do not talking to anyone. It allows a person to get what they need and be out the store within minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shannon,
    This post creative and I enjoyed reading it. I agree that the smartphone scanner would increase efficiency immensely and in turn would make customers a lot happier. If customers know that they will not have to wait in lines, it would definitely increase revenues as well. Overall, great post and I hope to read more of your posts soon!

    ReplyDelete