Segment: Students at UF who go to the grocery store at least once a week
My Findings:
From my interviews I discovered that people are willing to go to other grocery stores
if (1) the prices are cheaper (without sacrificing quality) and if (2) the checkout lines
were less busy. In these three interviews, it is still unclear which of these 2 factors
determine if the consumer is willing to switch grocery stores. It seems to depend person
to person, and also their income and time that they go to the grocery store. One thing
that was consistent in all the interviews is that everyone would prefer shorter and
quicker checkouts. An interesting point that one interviewee brought up was the cost
of having my mobile checkout system. Employees would need to have a mobile device
provided by the grocery store to scan items and also take payments from the consumer.
This obviously would add costs and also will require additional employees during peak
hours. I would argue that the cost of my idea would be minuscule in comparison to the
profits that a grocery store sees.
if (1) the prices are cheaper (without sacrificing quality) and if (2) the checkout lines
were less busy. In these three interviews, it is still unclear which of these 2 factors
determine if the consumer is willing to switch grocery stores. It seems to depend person
to person, and also their income and time that they go to the grocery store. One thing
that was consistent in all the interviews is that everyone would prefer shorter and
quicker checkouts. An interesting point that one interviewee brought up was the cost
of having my mobile checkout system. Employees would need to have a mobile device
provided by the grocery store to scan items and also take payments from the consumer.
This obviously would add costs and also will require additional employees during peak
hours. I would argue that the cost of my idea would be minuscule in comparison to the
profits that a grocery store sees.
My product (the mobile checkout system) would have to be bought by the individual
grocery stores, not the grocery store consumer. However, for the purposes of these
assignments, I am focusing on the actual consumer at the grocery store because they
are the ones directly impacted by my product.
grocery stores, not the grocery store consumer. However, for the purposes of these
assignments, I am focusing on the actual consumer at the grocery store because they
are the ones directly impacted by my product.
Conclusion:
Grocery store consumers have a variety of preferences depending on their economic
status and time that they go grocery shopping. Everyone would like faster checkouts,
but it is not something that will attract a considerable amount of shoppers from one
grocery store to another. Price, variety of products, quality of products all seem to
attract shoppers more than speed at checkout.
status and time that they go grocery shopping. Everyone would like faster checkouts,
but it is not something that will attract a considerable amount of shoppers from one
grocery store to another. Price, variety of products, quality of products all seem to
attract shoppers more than speed at checkout.
Hi, Shannon:
ReplyDeleteI agree a faster checkout system would make a store more attractive in a list of choices, but I also agree better prices (without sacrificing quality - as you stated) would be most important to me. However, I suppose the checkout time may be more important to other people than the prices. As you stated, preferences would vary between different economic statuses . . . Someone wealthy might not care as much about their money, and could care more about their time.
Hey Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you regarding the faster checkout system. I think most people would love to be in and out of the store as quick as possible. However, I would sincerely love for the quality products to have a good price. Quality lasts longer and could save the time of going back and forth to the store for the same product of lesser value.
Hey Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI one hundred percent love your post and I also agree with it. The checkout line nowadays is a huge problem that needs to be addressed soother rather than later. There are not many alternatives stores can offer really so I believe they should really consider your idea. Overall, great post and I hope to read more of your posts soon.
Hey Shannon,
ReplyDeleteYou are correct in saying that checkout lines are a huge area in the grocery store ecosystem that needs to be addressed. It is a part of the grocery store experience that no one has been able to really innovate from except amazon. I live the idea of a mobile checkout system seems like it would be a no brainer . I like your overall idea good luck with it.