Thursday, February 20, 2020

12A – Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

My Segment:
For my interviews, I chose three students at UF that shopped at the grocery store at least once a week.

My Findings:
From my first two interviews, my interviewees expressed that they find themselves often complaining about the length of checkout lines and the time. They even expressed that there are times where they forego getting what they came to the grocery store for as soon as they see how long the lines are. They stated that they could benefit from shorter wait times in checkout lines as they could be spending that time studying, going to the gym, or just hanging out with friends. So they expressed that my business idea was something they wished to see in grocery stores. My last interviewee expressed that he did not really find an issue with the current state of the checkout lines, as he rarely went grocery shopping and instead buys most of his meals out. Because of this specific finding, I may have to analyze the customer demographics a bit more and incorporate my business idea accordingly.

My Conclusions:
From my findings, I can conclude that my business idea would actually benefit customers that frequently shop at grocery stores. I may have to adjust this product availability based off customer demographics and also analyze the times of the day and year for which this product might actually be the most beneficial. After these adjustments, this product can have the potential to be very successful.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon,

    This segment was really well placed as it was in an obvious place that people might experience the need which made it an easy place to get good responses. However, how are you going to get people to invest and what do you feel you gained the most out of this experience? Did your conclusions go the way you wanted and how do you think your adjustments will benefit the product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon,

    I, for one, am completely on your side regarding the issue with long checkout lines. I would not be able to count how many times I had to rush, or was late for an event because, I was held up at a store. I strongly believe that everyone would benefit from faster checkout lines, even the ones who do not particularly go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Shannon:

    As college students, I feel like our market segment would be far different than the stay-at-home mothers. Perhaps they would be a better segment to target, as many go grocery shopping multiple times a week - rather than just once a week. You could also try to gain information from the cashiers/baggers to get a different perspective on the long checkout lines and potential solutions to solve them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shannon,

    I think you chose a great segment – one that’s close to you, but highly relevant to your opportunity. I definitely agree that for this particular idea, it takes some refinement of your target demographics. Especially, since nowadays there are so many alternatives to going to the grocery stores directly, such as online shopping, eating out or even ordering through grocery apps. Nonetheless, a great read and post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon,
    I believe many college students do not like waiting in checkout lines as we are busy with school, hobbies, or various social life activities. However many students like myself do not go grocery shopping that often so I agree that changing your interview demographic could help. However, you have a great idea and I truly believe that many people are in support of it. Overall, great discussion and I hope to read more of your discussions in the future.

    ReplyDelete