Friday, February 14, 2020

9A – Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2

Who: After conducting my interviews, I have found that my solution to putting an end to long wait times in checkout lanes can really only be implemented during peak times of the day and year. This means that more cashiers will be staffed during each shift and equipped with smartphones with scanning and paying ability only during peak hours of the day, during the weekends, and during holidays. Those that I interviewed all agreed that this could solve the issue with long-checkout lanes. The individuals that I interviewed that are or have been cashiers at retail stores have expressed that this could eliminate the long lines and also allow companies to schedule more cashiers when actually needed. Some people that I interviewed expressed that this solution might actually frustrate the customers that want to bag some of their items, as they would have to wait to get to the front for them to be bagged.
What: The current and past cashiers that I interviewed have expressed to me that bagging is what can make the checkout process longer than it needs to be. So by having only some of the items be bagged, we can reduce our plastic waste and have shorter checkout lines. This differs from stores that do not bag any of your items at all and stores that bag absolutely everything.
Why: If stores do not implement this solution, then it may be because they do not have the resources to invest in the technology, the funds needed to pay additional cashiers, or they simply are not busy enough.

            Inside the Boundary:                              Outside the Boundary:
Who: Busy retail stores (Walmart)                 Companies that do not have enough
                                                                            capital to invest in this solution

What: Can reduce wait times in                         Can make the wait time longer
           checkout lanes and make them            for customers wanting items bagged.
                            shorter.       

Why: Retail stores are not staffing                Some stores are not busy enough to be
          enough cashiers during shifts             staffing more cashiers, making it unprofitable
          creating long checkout lines and                    to add them to the payroll.
                        wait times.         

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,

    I really thought your post was interesting. It annoys me when I have to wait prolonged times at retail or grocery store checkouts, and I think your solution would help a lot of people expedite their shopping experience. I also appreciated that you made a clear distinction between the businesses that would benefit from this idea, as larger businesses would provide your service more revenue and growth potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I have the same issue with becoming annoyed when I have to wait for long periods of times at the grocery store. I do believe your idea would work very well and I thought it was very intelligent. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your solution to this problem and I hope to read more of your posts soon!

    ReplyDelete