How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams
1) General theme/argument: Scott Adams focused much on personality traits throughout his book. He also focused on the various aspects and ideas which people strongly believe or support. He then noted that these beliefs are actually incorrect. He was a big proponent of the fact that minor losses from time to time are ok, as long as you learn to take care of yourself and be comfortable with who you are and what you are doing. If this is done, then your losses will eventually transform into big wins.
2) Connection with ENT3003: From reading his book, we can see that Adams placed great importance on human capital; it was the driving force behind his ideas. He claimed that every skill we have significantly increases our likelihood for success. We have learned in class that as we gain more skills and knowledge we are increasing our human capital. So, the lessons learned from this book are things that can be applied to what we are learning in class.
3) Class exercise: Adams talked a lot about planning throughout his book and how these plans should be obtained through systems and not goals as goals were too specific and time sensitive. So, an activity that I would design based off this book would entail requiring students to write a list of their plans in life. Then I would ask students to devise a system (rather then small goals) for each one of their plans which would allow them to reach their desired destination all while improving their personal skills.
4) Surprising aspect: The most surprising thing to me seemed to be the fact that Adams claimed that we should be devising systems instead of goals in order to reach a certain destination. He claimed that goofs use goals while winners use systems. All my life I have been told to plan my life around specific and timely goals, so I was very surprised that the author of this book said that goals are flawed. However, it makes sense because systems allow us to continuously work on improving and finding something better in everything.
I just read another blog post with them reading the same book. I might have to read this one because both of you make this sound very interesting. Your exercise sounds very interesting and I think it really could work in a classroom setting. Good job.
ReplyDeleteHi Shannon,
ReplyDeleteGood observation on the overlap on the suggested importance of human capital in the book and the similar lessons being taught in this class. I think the author’s proposed idea of systems, instead of goals, is definitely a unique one and your commentary on it completely reflected my own personal thoughts about the subject. You did a really great job with this assignment, Shannon!
Hey Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your reading reflection and this was a spectacular discussion post. You had impeccable grammar and vocabulary and I could tell you really put a lot of pride in making this a very good post. The idea of systems instead of goals is intriguing as you obviously stated. Overall, great post and I hope to read more of yours in the future.
Hi , Shannon:
ReplyDeleteI think your concept for an assignment relating to this class is not only unique, but I feel it would greatly benefit future students. In my professional history, I've been asked, "What is your five-year plan?" I honestly had no idea how to answer that question at the time . . . An assignment like the one you described would have been beneficial in answering this question; I would have looked at the bigger picture, rather than a few small goals I'd set along the way.