Friday, April 17, 2020

27A – Reading Reflection No. 3

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future, Ashlee Vance

1. What surprised me the most about Elon Musk is just the great number of business ventures he set out on and the notability of each one of them. It's just so surprising to me that one can have that many unique ideas and and see to that all of those ideas are successful.
2. Just as it surprised me the most, I also admired it the most. His sheer ability to pursue all these ideas that are so vastly different from each other, and the ideas that might have seemed so far fetched is what is most admiring.
3. The thing I admire the least seems to be common between most of these figures. Elon Musk was known to fire his employees impulsively, which I don't agree with. His employees are people that he should be establishing trust and respect with. So I think he needs to work on his relationships with people.
4. Musk has had several failures involving failed model rocket launches. But he learned from those failures and found what was wrong, and now several people are signing up to be the first ones on Musk's rocket to Mars.
5. I think Musk was extremely courageous in his business ventures. He thinks of ideas that no one has even thought of or thinks is possible.
6. The one question that I could think of asking Musk is: When do you think the rock to Mars will be set to launch?
7. Musk obviously valued hard work and dedication from a very young age and he continues to use that today. These are extremely important elements to have along with many others in order to gain success, so I think it's definitely great qualities to have.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon,
    Your reflection on this book was very informational and I can tell you really got a lot out of it. I learned many new things from your discussion and that is why I believe it is crucial for everyone to read as many books as possible. The value of books is incredible! Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon,

    I enjoyed reading your reflection regarding Elon Musk. I read the book for the first reading reflection and wanted to know what others might have thought about it. I absolutely agree with your opinion on how Musk treats his employees impulsively, it irks me. I suppose we can all learn from Musk that, if we keep trying after every failure, surely we will succeed in the end.

    ReplyDelete